Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

What books to read...

James Schall's subtitle to Another Sort of Learning must be one of the most thought-provoking ones I have read: "Selected Contrary Essays on How Finally to Acquire an Education While Still in College or Anywhere Else: Containing Some Belated Advice about How to Employ Your Leisure Time When Ultimate Questions Remain Perplexing in Spite of Your Highest Earned Academic Degree, Together with Sundry Book Lists Nowhere Else in Captivity to Be Found"

What does the contrast between schooling and education imply?

What is captivity? Schools?

1 comment:

  1. One of the books that helped me along my pilgrim's way, although my take on education (grading, &c.) is now pretty far to the left of his. I suspect that "captivity" means "collected between two covers" or the like. He himself called this a "rather cheeky" subtitle (although he goes on to say that he likes it a great deal).

    ReplyDelete